Central City is the historical name of the West 14th Street neighborhood of Huntington. It was a separate city from 1893 to 1909, when it was annexed by Huntington. After beginning as several farms, Central City grew into a manufacturing center due to the availability of raw materials, transportation facilities, and low-cost fuel. Manufacturers included a bung or stopper factory, a chain factory, and the Art Glass Company. Central City was known for its glass, bricks, and the Fesenmeier Brewery. Today, Central City is a popular historical district with its antique shops, a farmer’s market, museums, specialty shops, and houses dating back to the 19th century. An annual Old Central City Days held in July since 1991 has featured a marble tournament, flea market, parade, historical tours, and fireworks. West 14th Street, the heart of the district, was the main business street in Central City.
This Article was written by Larry Sonis
Gorczyca, Beth. Central City Days. Huntington Herald-Dispatch, June 12, 2000.
"The Heart of Central City in History," Pamphlet. Cabell-Huntington Convention & Visitors Bureau, 2001.