Located opposite the mouth of Meadow River, 12 miles south of Summersville, this 156-acre park encompasses the Carnifex Ferry Civil War battlefield. Here, on September 10, 1861, Union forces led by Gen. William S. Rosecrans defeated Gen. John B. Floyd’s Confederate troops, who were camped on a farm owned by Henry Patteson.
The state legislature, noting interest in the annual reunion of Carnifex Ferry battle veterans, passed a bill on March 14, 1931, to create the Carnifex Ferry Battlefield Park Commission. In 1935, the legislature appropriated funds to buy the Patteson farm. In 1950, during the administration of Governor Patteson, grandson of Henry Patteson, additional state funds were used to improve the park.
Historical attractions include the restored Patteson house and interpretative museum, and the annual Carnifex Ferry battle reenactment. Recreation areas feature hiking trails, picnic facilities, and a playground. The park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Read the National Register nomination.
Where People and Nature Meet: A History of West Virginia State Parks. Charleston: Pictorial Histories Publishing Company, 1988.
West Virginia Blue Book. Senate Clerk, State of West Virginia. Charleston, 1998.