Print | Back to e-WV The West Virginia Encyclopedia

Calvin W. Price State Forest


Calvin_price_state_forest_-_sign_medium

Located in the southern part of Pocahontas County, with a small portion in Greenbrier County, Calvin W. Price State Forest is the newest of West Virginia’s nine state forests. Covering 10,800 acres on the east side of the Greenbrier River, the forest is named in honor of one of Pocahontas County’s best-known residents, Calvin W. Price (1880–1957). Price was active in promoting conservation work during his many years as editor of the Pocahontas Times, a Marlinton newspaper.

The area of the forest was logged of its virgin timber between 1880 and 1920. The white pine was cut first and floated to a mill at Ronceverte before 1900. In the early 1900s, a large tract of timber was harvested by the Maryland Lumber Company. After the cut-over land was sold by the company in 1922, it was divided into two sections and resold. The section north of Laurel Run became part of Watoga State Park. The southern tract was purchased by the New River Company and sold to the state in 1953. It was dedicated as Calvin W. Price State Forest on May 15, 1954. At the dedication ceremony, Price said he was ‘‘sinfully proud’’ of the honor.

The management plan for the Calvin W. Price State Forest emphasizes timber, wildlife, and watershed protection with hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping the major recreational activities. Due to its proximity to Watoga, this state forest has no developed recreational facilities.

Written by William P. McNeel