The Concord College He-Man Club began as a picnic in 1924 to honor retiring college president Christopher Columbus Rossey. Because those present enjoyed the event, the club became a permanent institution, its meeting an annual affair with as many as 600 attending. It was held near the college at Mercer Healing Springs for many years. Other sites were the Concord campus, Glenwood Park, Lake Shawnee, and the Elks Golf Club. The He-Man Club did not meet during the war years of 1943, 1944, and 1945.
Over time, the He-Man Club became a booster for Concord College (now University) athletics. The coaches present usually reported on their teams’ prospects. The club also supported college scholarship funds. In its heyday, the club meeting was in part a political gathering, with governors, senators, congressmen, and candidates for various offices often present. The club was for many years for men only and was one of the few local men’s groups without a ladies’ auxiliary. In 1988, the first woman, Bessie Horn, was admitted. Although other women became members later, the name was not changed. The He-Man Club merged with Concord’s Mountain Lion Club in 1996. The colorful name, taken humorously in later years, persists in the He-Man Golf Tournament, first held in 1998.
Written by Raymond Thomas Hill
Concord Archives. Athens Concord University Library.