Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Article Discussion

Note: This discussion is related to the Milton W. Humphreys article. Please read the article in full before contributing to the discussion. Thanks!

Comments about Milton W. Humphreys

Name Message

Kenneth Reffeitt says...

On 11/15/10
at 10:27 AM

My grandmother’s uncle, subject of this article, is not buried in the Chapel at the University of Virginia at Charlottesville. I personally searched for it there to no avail. He and his wife are buried in the University Cemetery. The erroneus information somehow got into print many years ago as I also found it in my research. He named his theory of indirect cannonball firing as “terrestrial shift,” noting that the earth’s rotation must be calculated for the “hang-time” of the ball. He was a student at Washington College (now Washington & Lee University) when the Civil War began. After the war he retured to said college when Gen. Lee was its president. His Ph.D. was earned at the University of Leipsig, Germany. He married Louise Garland, daughter of the chancellor of Vanderbilt University.

Editor’s note: We thank Mr. Reffeit for pointing out the error. We have corrected the mistake.

To participate in article discussions, you must sign in.

If you don't have an account, you can register for a free account here.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.