Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Article Discussion

Note: This discussion is related to the South Charleston article. Please read the article in full before contributing to the discussion. Thanks!

Comments about South Charleston

Name Message

Carole Sierka says...

On 04/10/11
at 07:20 PM

I grew up in South Charleston, a few houses east of Davis Creek. I just read for the first time your history of the town, and I wish I had been told as a child about the stagecoaches that passed the site of my family’s home and stopped at the mouth of Davis Creek, right where my early childhood friend, Ellen, lived. She and I used to be told not to wander down to the point that may have been a landing site for boats. Her grandmother frightened us with a warning that a scary man was down there. I loved living on the Kanawha River, especially when my cousin would wave to me from the Helen Z, a paddle wheel boat, as it pushed barges up and down the river. Jenny was the boat’s cook. I can still see her waving a towel back and forth. With great affection, I remember the many wonderful people up and down the Valley, I commend your efforts to preserve the history of West Virginia.

To participate in article discussions, you must sign in.

If you don't have an account, you can register for a free account here.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.