Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Article Discussion

Note: This discussion is related to the Fort Seybert article. Please read the article in full before contributing to the discussion. Thanks!

Comments about Fort Seybert

Name Message

Lauren Ragland says...

On 02/16/14
at 10:59 AM

All of the captives either escaped within two years, were part of Bouquet’s 1764 group and many died in captivity. I am having fun comparing the original documents, oral histories and descendancy charts to figure out who was who and where. A fun challenge – will post when completed. {I am the Editor of “Pioneer Index of Randolph County 1773-1883” 2007"} -— There were numerous raids that Spring and many killed in March are added to the original lists of victims.

Martha Blizzard White says...

On 12/30/15
at 05:27 PM

I am a descendant of the Blizzards that bought the property that was Fort Seybert, 7 generations removed. I didn’t know it was referred to as Blizzard’s Fort. That’s pretty cool.

About 20 years ago, my husband and I visited Fort Seybert to see if we could find any trace of our people. We talked to an elder in the town, who told us that one of the captives whose name was Nicholas Seybert, returned by way of being traded off to French fur traders. This captive had been castrated by the indians after trying to escape numerous times. When he returned, he was a “broken man”, and sold off the fort to my ancestor, John Thomas Blizzard.

When we visited the fort – which had become a gun club – the owner, Jake Conrad, showed us the old stonewalled cemetery which he said was a mass grave from the massacre. Then he showed us a stone grave marker he kept in his barn, with the carving, JB, 1799. Those are the initials of my ancestor and the year he died.

To participate in article discussions, you must sign in.

If you don't have an account, you can register for a free account here.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.