Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Article Discussion

Note: This discussion is related to the McNeill’s Rangers article. Please read the article in full before contributing to the discussion. Thanks!

Comments about McNeill’s Rangers

Name Message

Lou Ann Minton says...

On 06/25/12
at 10:09 AM

My great-grandfather, first cousin to McNeill, was one of the rangers. His name was John (Harness) Cunningham. I have a copy of his diary kept during the war. Unfortunately, the first part was lost when he was captured and put into prison in Ohio. It starts after he escaped with General Morgan and his men. He took the place of a man who was afraid he would be killed if he tried to escape. Lucky him, he was only in prison for about two weeks. McNeill’s home is now known as Willows. We have always been told it was The Willow Wall, which is much more descriptive. My relatives lived at Silver (or Civil) Bend located seven miles south of Moorefield on the west bank of the Potomac. I live in the house that great-grandpa built when he returned home after the war. He had three children, one son and two daughters. The son, also John H. Cunningham, also had one son and two daughters. I would like to hear from anyone else who may be related to a ranger or to me

Jim Sloan says...

On 04/27/15
at 10:25 AM

My great grandmother’s two brothers fought with the raiders. Morgan Trumbo and his brother, Wes. Morgan is listed in the 1951 feature article.

To participate in article discussions, you must sign in.

If you don't have an account, you can register for a free account here.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.