Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Article Discussion

Note: This discussion is related to the Jim Comstock article. Please read the article in full before contributing to the discussion. Thanks!

Comments about Jim Comstock

Name Message

Lauren Ragland says...

On 10/09/15
at 04:13 PM

Picked up “7 Decades” at the McLintoc Public Library in my favorite FREE BOX where I always find treasures – this probably #1. Sadly it is both signed by the author, “To Jay and Dorothy, Thanksgiving Day 1982” and donated by Dorothy Comstock to the Hood Library. In addition this gem was only withdrawn TWICE, in 2002 and 2006 and recently withdrawn – great for me! – and I honor Mr. Comstock’s work beyond words. As a fellow historian, author and self publisher of the PIONEER INDEX OF RANDOLPH COUNTY WV 1763-1883" now in its 2nd printing! I am planning in my “free time” to research the names within the pages I find beyond fascinating – so many moments shared with such clarity. I am familiar with Mr. Comstock’s work but owning this book by hapchance is a blessing. More later!!!!

Steve Shard says...

On 01/18/19
at 05:54 PM

I am a 1991 graduate of the University of Hard Knocks at Alderson-Broaddus College (now University) and I just decided to check up on my alma mater to see what’s been going on. However, I can’t find anything about UHK. The website seems to have disappeared and perhaps the school was dissolved. I really don’t know. At my graduation in 1991, Senator Robert Byrd delivered the commencement address and his wife was one of my graduating classmates. I received my degree from Dr. Elza Wilson, the school president and Jim Comstock, president emeritus and publisher of the West Virginia Hillbilly. It was a full weekend with the graduation of hundreds of people and a prom the next evening. I went back for a visit in the summer of 2001 and purchased a UHK t-shirt (among other things) from the campus bookstore. Earlier that year, in honor of our 10th anniversary, the then current A-B president (Steven _______ and his wife visited a few graduates here in Orlando and we had a wonderful afternoon together. I just can’t remember their last name. In reminiscing about those events, I can’t help wonder what happened to everyone and the school. The only reference to UHK I found in a Google search were a few fake sites with t-shirts from a phony Hard Knocks University and School of Hard Knocks, with fake diplomas, none of which even remotely resembles our beloved alma mater. I would love to know what happened. If anyone can share some information, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. Thank you.

To participate in article discussions, you must sign in.

If you don't have an account, you can register for a free account here.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2024 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.