Traveling to Lewisburg
A few miles down the road from White Sulphur Springs is Lewisburg. The town was named for Andrew Lewis, who marched a force of Virginia militia to the Ohio River, where they narrowly defeated a group of Indians led by Cornstalk at the Battle of Point Pleasant in 1774. Today Lewisburg offers a comfortable mix of the past and present. Many buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries remain, tastefully updated and put to new uses as shops, offices, and restaurants.