An early settlement grew up at the Mud River crossing of the James River & Kanawha Turnpike. When the Cabell County town was incorporated in 1876, it was named for Milton Rece, a large landowner and Milton’s first postmaster. Over the years it developed as a regional commercial and small-scale industrial center. Local residents sometimes describe themselves as being from “Milton on the Mud,” a reference to the Mud River that regularly spills out of its banks and sends folks heading for higher ground. This postcard reproduces a picture of Milton dated 1884.