Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Tucker County map

Note: click on the icons overlaying the map to get more details about that specific point.


Tucker1200ap_huge Star_red250_s24 Dot_black250_s12 Dot_black250_s12 Dot_black250_s12 Tree_green250_s32 Tree_green250_s32 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Tree_green250_s24 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_sq16 Default_s12

Tucker County

Tucker County lies in north-central West Virginia and includes some of the state’s most rugged and mountainous terrain. The county was named for Henry St. George Tucker Sr. (1780–1848), a Virginia soldier, statesman, and jurist. The early settlers included Thomas and James Parsons, John Minear, and John Crouch. In 1778, Minear brought to what became the community of St. George, by horseback and in pieces, the machinery for the first sawmill west of the Alleghenies.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2020 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.