Skip Navigation

Sign In or Register

West-virginia-encyclopedia-text

Wood County map

Note: click on the icons overlaying the map to get more details about that specific point.


Wood1200ap_huge Star_red250_s24 Dot_black250_s12 Dot_black250_s12 Dot_black250_s12 Default_s12 Default_sq16 Default_sq16

Wood County

Named for James Wood, Virginia’s governor from 1796 to 1800, Wood County was established by the Virginia General Assembly on December 21, 1798, a little over 13 years after the first permanent white settlement (Neal’s Station) had been founded in the county.

West Virginia Humanities Council | 1310 Kanawha Blvd E | Charleston, WV 25301 Ph. 304-346-8500 | © 2019 All Rights Reserved

About e-WV | Our Sponsors | Help & Support | Contact Us The essential guide to the Mountain State can be yours today! Click here to order.