The Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Building, originally known as the Schmulbach Building, was West Virginia’s first high-rise office building. The 12-story structure was built in 1904–07 on Market Street in downtown Wheeling. Still the city’s tallest office building, it remains a local landmark.
The massive H-shaped building was designed for the German immigrant brewer and industrialist, Henry Schmulbach, by Wheeling architects Millard F. Giesey and Frederick Faris. The building was taken over by the Wheeling Steel Corporation in 1921 and renamed. The first two floors of the structure are faced in granite, and the upper floors are faced in cream-colored brick.
The Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Building is part of the Wheeling Historic District, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Last Revised on November 19, 2010